Mr. Sandman's Sandbox

The musings of a Deaf Californian on life, politics, religion, sex, and other unmentionables. This blog is not guaranteed to lead to bon mots appropriate for dinner-table conversation; make of it what you will.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Saturday, April 23, 2005

Avid Readers, Bookworms, and Bibliophiles: What Heaven Must Be...

I just got back from what a bibliophile's idea of heaven is: the annual Los Angeles Times Festival of Books at UCLA. It's been around for approximately ten years now, and is very well attended. I was recovering from surgery the first year we lived here, so going wasn't possible. Last year, I can't remember why we didn't go, but we didn't. This year, I wasn't sure whether we'd still be here come next spring, so I decided it was time to go and see what this was all about, even if it was just for a couple hours. Unfortunately the resident J.D.-to-be was in the throes of writing three or four papers, and had exams coming up. Rotten timing...

I didn't want to go by myself, but we finally decided I'd go, and hopefully next year, we'd go together. So after dithering about all this, I took off. Since parking was most likely at a premium and cost $7, and we don't live all that far away (1.5 miles from campus), I decided to walk. It was really warm today, but luckily there was enough of a breeze I wasn't too wiped out by the time I got to the east side of campus, by the law school. The book fair started at the west end of the law school, and stretched out across campus, almost to the Wooden Center (yes, named after legendary coach John Wooden!). There were a couple smaller sections, one near Bunche Hall, and one northeast of Kerckhoff as well.

I had a vague idea of the Festival, and knew well enough to avoid Westwood the last couple of years that weekend (it's held on a weekend at the end of April-- 3rd or 4th week I believe), but I was astounded right away-- there were hundreds of people swarming in front of me, and I was just on the periphery of the whole shebang. I wandered over to the first set of booths I saw, and it turned out to be the children's book area. From there, I walked across the street to one of the central areas, and looked over the schedules. The L.A. Times publishes a pull-out booklet that lists all the events that go on on both days, but naturally, there were booths scattered here and there with information leaflets and the same booklets. There were panels with authors, writers, and publishers; these usually require (free) tickets, and I decided not to do that this year; maybe next year, if we both go, I'll obtain a ticket or two beforehand and arrange for interpreting (it's free, you just gotta let them know in advance). A few speakers were outside under huge tents and pavilions, so I knew I could pass by a writer or two. Additionally, many authors would be available throughout the day for booksignings as well.

The booths weren't limited to children's books: there were booths and exhibits of all kinds, ranging from the Society of Calligraphy, calendars (yep, I could've bought my 2006 calendar a good 6+ months in advance!), bed desks (I was intrigued by this-- maybe someday when I have a bit more money, I'll buy one), Ayn Rand, Dianetics, Pacifica Radio Archives, Buddhist works and publications, several booths with Islamic materials, and many that focused solely on mysteries and mystery writers. Additionally, there were the usual culprits: Borders, Target, Barnes & Noble, etc. Even Hi De Ho Comics had a booth, a rather large one filled with graphic novels, comics compilations, etc. Naturally I spent more than a few minutes there. *grin* If you're in the L.A. area, and you like comics, check it out. The other big store in the area is Golden Apple Comics, but I prefer Hi De Ho (not to mention it's just six blocks from the Pacific!).

There were quite a few single-book booths, with the actual author sitting there selling their own individual works, published either by small or independent presses, or by a vanity publisher. A lot of the booths were small and independent presses and bookstores, which I thought was great. What really excited me though, was the fact that there were *so many people* there! I know I bitch and moan a lot about the state of our world, but it excited me that so many people were there, solely to enjoy books. I was also heartened to see tons of kids there too, with mom and dad in tow (it helped that the entire section of Dickson Plaza South was turned over to children's books and publishers!). I've always felt that no matter what else you do or believe in, learning to read and pursuing reading is essential. It's part of being educated, and I think if more people actually took the time to educate themselves, there'd be greater participation in civic affairs, and then maybe people would want to actually try to change things for the better. Not only that, but reading is *fun*.

I didn't see a whole lot of famous faces, with the exception of Kevin Smith, who was giving a talk about his recent book. It was kind of fun to see that, as Silent Bob finally spoke (*grin*)! There were supposed to be quite a number of other well-known people either giving readings or appearing in panel discussions, but I'd rather find new books and see what's out there than spend the day being a celebrity looky-loo. One booth in particular entranced me: a cookbook company/store that had their booth filled entirely with cookbooks. I found one that was about berries-- since berry season is here (I've been madly buying strawberries at Farmer's Market now for about two weeks- they just keep getting better and better, despite the damaged crop from all the rain we had this past winter), I was tempted to buy it. I didn't, but I did write down the title, so I can always get it later. There were cookbooks on South American cuisines, Indian, Greek, and all sorts of other foods. I'm trying to branch out and learn how to cook recipes that aren't necessarily based on a mac-and-cheese or hamburger foundation. American food is good, sure, but there's so many yummy things to try, it seems a waste not to do so.

I found a few fiction books I want to read eventually, including Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, which I'd vaguely remembered seeing in a bookstore a while back. I picked up a copy in one booth, and after reading the synopsis on the inside jacket sleeve decided I'd be interested in it. If you've read this book, let me know if you liked it, okay?

It was nearly all books, all the way, except for a central "food court"-- can you say "overpriced" and "ridiculous"? One guy was selling novelty ice cream bars for something like $3.75 or $4-- these are the same popsicles and treats you can buy for 85 cents at 7-11. $4 lemonades, hot dogs for $5, that kind of thing. No thanks, I'll pass...

I just checked-- there were apparently over 400 different booths today, and I definitely went into at least 3/4th's of them. I had planned to only stay an hour or two, but I ended up wandering about for nearly six hours straight. I've seen everything from the latest fiction on the market, to more children's books than I ever knew existed, to tons of mystery books, to poetry booklets put out by tiny little companies you never heard of. I'm not all booked out, but I'm close to it!