Mr. Sandman's Sandbox

The musings of a Deaf Californian on life, politics, religion, sex, and other unmentionables. This blog is not guaranteed to lead to bon mots appropriate for dinner-table conversation; make of it what you will.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Sunday, May 29, 2005

In a Theater, (Not So) Far, Far Away...

We just got back from seeing "Revenge of the Sith", the final chapter of the Star Wars series. We really wanted to see this ASAP, so we decided to go see it RWC, although I think we may go and see it again at a DTS showing-- there's nothing like open captions! Not only that, but now that I've seen it once, I can go back and catch the little bits: the nuances, the background details, the sets, etc.

I still think George Lucas could use a course in writing dialogue, but this was much better than the previous two movies in this particular trilogy. The movie coalesced well; in the previous two installations, there were quite a few moments that I felt could have been edited or in some way tightened and improved the picture. The bits and pieces here and there were neatly wrapped up, such as the glaring inconsistency of why C3PO doesn't remember good ol' Darth later on in the original trilogy. The reviewers weren't kidding when they said this was a darker movie than "Phantom Menace" and "Attack of the Clones"; I thought it was a more dramatic film that approached the level of "The Empire Strikes Back" (which remains my favorite of all the six films), and certainly highlighted Darth Vader's dark side.

You've probably seen this by now (especially considering I'm still catching up with entries!), so I'll dispense with further chatter. *grin*