Mr. Sandman's Sandbox

The musings of a Deaf Californian on life, politics, religion, sex, and other unmentionables. This blog is not guaranteed to lead to bon mots appropriate for dinner-table conversation; make of it what you will.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Thursday, June 16, 2005

A Lifetime of Love

This time of year is the season for weddings. I've been to my fair share in the past, and have a few more to attend, I'm sure. They're always happy occasions, and I think it's neat that I'm privileged to be there at the beginning of a marriage (sometimes I'm even luckier and see a beautiful relationship right from the start!), and I wonder if I'll be around to help celebrate the milestone anniversaries such as the 20th, 30th, 40th, or even 50th. Who we marry is arguably the most important person in our lives; in some instances, we live with them and know them for far longer than we do parents, siblings, or other family members.

In one case I read about just a couple of weeks ago, a couple celebrated their 80th wedding anniversary; unfortunately, the husband just died. I've been present at family anniversaries of 20, 40, and even 50 years together, but I can't imagine 80 years. That's longer than the average lifespan for either men or women. When this couple were wed, WWI had just ended a few years previously. Both husband and wife were born during the Edwardian era, and together they witnessed 3/4 of the 20th century.

I should be so lucky.