Mr. Sandman's Sandbox

The musings of a Deaf Californian on life, politics, religion, sex, and other unmentionables. This blog is not guaranteed to lead to bon mots appropriate for dinner-table conversation; make of it what you will.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

On A Lighter Note...

It's Katrina all the time, now-- while I'm devouring the news of what's going on, it's nice to read about something else too. I found this neat travel article which sparked a nice memory for me.

A few years ago, I had a conference to attend in D.C., and a new wife to boot. I figured as part of our first summer as a married couple, we'd combine my obligations with some fun, and make a coast-to-coast journey. Considering the rise in gas prices this year, that was probably our last hurrah as far as a major cross-country road trip, and I'm glad we did it. We drove around the country for a full month, stopping to see friends and family along the way. The following year, in the wake of an aborted wedding, we made another road trip, this time along the coast to Canada and back. This time, for about ten or so days, we meandered up Highway 1 along the Pacific Coast, before crossing at Port Angeles to Victoria, B.C.

One of our stops, recommended by my sister, was at Heceta Head, on the Oregon coast, to see the lighthouse there and have a little picnic. Just before we reached our destination, we saw that there was a sea lion cave. In full-on tourist mode, we decided to pull over and take a gander. I'm glad we did- this is an enormous cave, full of sea lions, and it was worth the pit stop. You can read about this tourist destination here, courtesy of the San Francisco Chronicle. I'm just disappointed this excellent summary didn't include Heceta Head, but I'm sure those people who make the journey to that area will stop there as well. Maine isn't the only place with picturesque lighthouses, y'know!

Now, back to your 24/7 Katrina coverage...