Mr. Sandman's Sandbox

The musings of a Deaf Californian on life, politics, religion, sex, and other unmentionables. This blog is not guaranteed to lead to bon mots appropriate for dinner-table conversation; make of it what you will.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Update on Gallaudet

As far as I know at this point, there apparently will be another gathering in the morning, at 8 a.m. EDT to discuss the next moves in the burgeoning protest. But already there's media coverage, and it just proves my point about needing a clear, concise narrative. The Chronicle of Higher Education's brief article includes these lines at the end of the second paragraph:
The students’ criticism centered on the lack of racial diversity among the finalists, and on what they said was a lack of warmth from Ms. Fernandes. A flavor of the student mood, as well as some alumni responses, can be seen on Gally President Watch, a blog.
So far the media is focusing on "the lack of racial diversity" (very PC!) and the "lack of warmth" (again, *personality*). These are not compelling or winning arguments. Additionally, most of the comments on Gally President Watch are not only illogical, highly emotional, and often foul-mouthed, but there is very little that I've read so far that indicates an effective argument for Fernandes' removal. It may be that the community will have to accept Fernandes for a while, then either try to influence/shape her administration, or counter her decisions with firm opposition. Another alternative is, as I mentioned, either now or eventually passing a vote of "no confidence."

In reading Gally President Watch, some of the more rational arguments are coming from neutral observers or people puzzled by student motivations. I'm posting in toto one particularly good entry, from a poster who is rather pro-Fernandes:
When I read IKJ's written comments on the Gallaudet website, I can see him signing it. When I read Jane Fernandes' comments I vividly see her signing.

I will say this: Jane is NOT hearing. I have many HoH and deaf friends who learned ASL late, and I could easily identify Jane as one of them.

People who learn ASL late still struggle with subtle facial expressions and communication attitudes in ASL (or even in speech) because they did not have the benefit of a full communicative environment growing up.

Exactly as people who learn english a little late will always struggle with writing English perfectly.

But it's worse for those who never learned to have a normal conversation without guessing at every word. You cannot imagine how that messes people up for life without knowing them.

Does that mean they should give up and stop trying to communicate? NO! Jane Fernandes has been focusing on Gallaudet as the place for all deaf to come to, regardless of their communicative skills.

This is key in an social environment that still attempts to "cure deafness" through cochlear implants and other technological advances.

If technology is the answer to deafness, well, now Gallaudet has the best technology too.

Little by little, Gallaudet will kill all arguments against going to Gallaudet.

I found Gallaudet a great place to blossom socially. I could have gotten a better education elsewhere in my chosen field, but I don't think I would have been as happy there. Indeed, I did go to a hearing college after I left Gallaudet and it just was not the same at all.

I do care about the leadership of Gallaudet, like the bloggers here whom I recognize. Their English skills have improved greatly from when they first entered Gallaudet.

But I disagree with them in thinking Jane is unfit to lead Gallaudet, even those who may have attended youth leadership camp and know all about "leadership."

I work in the "real world" and I know that most top level managers, CEOs, and administrators are introverted, because I talk to them. Most CEOs I know act almost shy or introverted when they're not in the office.

Surprising??? I'm not surprised. They deal with people so much, they burn out talking to people. Words become work for them.

Also when you are in power, you can't talk trash about others or show preference because it can lead to a lot of chaos.

For a person like Jane Fernandes who never will be perfect in ASL?

Her most smart thing is to to keep quiet and only talk to the point about work while at work and to always be careful to be clear and neutral.

That is exactly what I would do in her place. And that behavior goes against "deaf culture", right?

That's only because deaf people have not been in enough positions of power to really teach other deaf people how to succeed and change our ideas on what "deaf culture" is.

Everything people criticize in her-- is exactly why I think she may be a very good leader for Gallaudet, not just her resume.

I'm talking based on experience in the business world, along with advice from others who have succeeded in hostile environments:

The golden rule of success: Work hard for what you want, don't try and take shortcuts, don't shoot your mouth off, and do what you truly believe in.

And make yourself so valuable and so necessary, so nobody will ever fire you, because they cannot afford to lose you.

You can always buddy up to people in power instead of doing hard work, but they will lose their position fast if they don't hire qualified people. Then when they leave, bye-bye to you. [May 1, 2006 10:52 PM]
These comments go to the heart of what I was saying earlier-- Fernandes' education and upbringing *cannot* be used as a reason against her-- in fact, it could backfire. You're against encroachment on the residential schools? Attacks on ASL? Denigration of Deaf culture? Understood, but outside campus and the Deaf-World, these issues don't play in Peoria. Sometimes you need iron and fire, but more often you need honey. How to best convince the above person to join the fight, or at least stay neutral? Offer concrete examples of why Fernandes isn't acceptable.

--------
For some photos of events so far, two places have some good shots: Elisa Abenchuchan's blog, Paradise Is, has a student account of what's gone on so far. Pictures from just after the announcement can be found here.

-------
I'm going to be sans computer access for a few days, so no more updates from this quarter. I'll definitely follow events as much as I can though!