Mr. Sandman's Sandbox

The musings of a Deaf Californian on life, politics, religion, sex, and other unmentionables. This blog is not guaranteed to lead to bon mots appropriate for dinner-table conversation; make of it what you will.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Monday, September 12, 2005

Blackout

By now you've heard about the big blackout we had today here in L.A. Seems like someone messed up on a connection somewhere. I'm sure I'll hear more about it in the morning in the paper. Luckily I was visiting relatives in Redondo, which wasn't affected. But we watched the news. Unlike some easily panicked people, I didn't think there was anything sinister about this-- nothing foreshadowing an Al Qaeda strike on the West Coast (although, given their criticism of Hollywood and its mores, I do not doubt that L.A. is on a list of targets somewhere in someone's evil, twisted mind). In fact, my first thought was, "Someone screwed up." Which seems to be the case so far...

There was some wondering or not while looking at the graphics on the television whether my area had been affected. I left just as most of the power was being restored, but prior to rush hour, which I knew was going to be a mess because of traffic signals being out all over town. Sure enough, when I walked in the door, I checked the clock in the bedroom-- it was flashing just like a storeroom display. The power had gone out here, but I hadn't been doing anything here that would have given me fits (like typing out a nice blog entry for you folks!).

While staring at the helmet-head blathering on about the blackout, while waiting for news of the Judiciary Committee's hearings on Roberts, someone remarked that it looks like Brownie got hired by the LADWP. Somehow I wouldn't be surprised.