Mr. Sandman's Sandbox

The musings of a Deaf Californian on life, politics, religion, sex, and other unmentionables. This blog is not guaranteed to lead to bon mots appropriate for dinner-table conversation; make of it what you will.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Entertainment For A Good Cause

I'm tired, and it's only 8 at night. I've been up three nights straight til 1 a.m. at least; but for very good reasons all three times!

Last night a good friend of mine invited me to go with her to a benefit performance in Irvine for Deaf survivors of Katrina who are being assisted by the Louisiana School for the Deaf. The show was at University High, so I was glad for the company on the way there!

I had no idea beforehand, but there was also a silent auction and a drawing going on as well; while it would have been nice to win something, it was just as well, as I didn't bring any money with me. Together, the proceeds from the auction, drawing, and the show itself would go to those Deaf evacuees affected by Katrina. I thought it was a great idea. I was seated early, but before long, it turned out to be a packed house.

Well, it turned out to be a very professional job, and all the performers were great. The evening's program included CJ Jones, Vae, Terrylene, Michelle Banks, Sammy Ruiz, Charles Katz, and Steve Longacre and Greg Koppel. Some of you may have seen these performers already, such as CJ, Terrylene, and Michelle. I was not familiar with Vae, and Ruiz, Longacre, and Koppel are magicians. Charles Katz is well versed in Deaf Studies, and performed a Deaf version of a well-known fairy tale.

Between the comedy, the monologues, Michelle's one-woman show (of which I saw only a snippet; she's going to have a full-length show in January in Burbank), and the magic acts, it was a thoroughly enjoyable evening. I thought it was only going to be a couple hours, that it'd be over at 9 or 9:30, and I'd be at home in time to blog, or watch a movie, read a book, or do bills. Nope- with the intermission (roughly twenty minutes, during which Jr. NAD sold refreshments), the whole thing clocked in at close to four hours. But I didn't feel restless at all-- it was a very smooth, polished show, and everyone involved should be proud of themselves. CSDR and HOVRS both gave donations, and at the end of the evening, it was announced that the total sum raised was somewhere around $9,000. Not too shabby...

It's nice to see that there's still concern and a willingness to help, even weeks later. It's also great that the Deaf community came together to help its own. From California to Louisiana (and Mississippi!): we're thinking of you.