Mr. Sandman's Sandbox

The musings of a Deaf Californian on life, politics, religion, sex, and other unmentionables. This blog is not guaranteed to lead to bon mots appropriate for dinner-table conversation; make of it what you will.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Still Getting Up to Speed

The Deaf/deaf blogosphere has figuratively exploded since May 1, and since I was out of town May 2-10, I am over a week behind. When you think about the dozens of posts on each blog, the thousands of comments all together, and then on top of that, the official press releases, communiques, and the like, you can see why I'm not champing at the bit to say something! *grin*

Rest assured, I'm nearly caught up-- thanks to those of you out there in South Dakota, the SF Bay Area, Arizona, and DC who have provided me with links and information to help bring me current!

My mind is still ruminating over various issues, opinions, bits and pieces of fact... I'm finally seeing examples of actions during Fernandes' tenure as Provost that demonstrate why she isn't acceptable as President, but there still needs to be more. Most media coverage has been through the Washington Post, although now other venues are joining in as well. What I'm seeing in the public arena outside the Deaf-World isn't too helpful. It's also quite interesting to see that Congress is taking a hand in the matter as well, as outlined in tomorrow (Friday's) article by Susan Kinzie in the WaPo, "Opponents, Board Discuss President". That could prove to be far more influential than everything that has been done so far, so I'm very curious as to how that turns out. As Kinzie says, "Advocates have been making their case on Capitol Hill." I hope those advocates have documented or firm evidence as to why Fernandes isn't acceptable-- some of the earlier arguments before the announcement was made on May 1 and shortly thereafter were pitiful and far more focused on personality and standing within the Deaf community, and anyone checking out the numerous blogs can see such comments, half-truths, opinions, and unverified statements. It's especially important as quite a few so far feel there's nothing wrong with Fernandes' selection, such as ex-officio trustee Congressman Ray LaHood (R-Ill.), who stated, "I think she's very qualified for the job, and I support the decision the board made."

Since Congress controls Gallaudet's purse strings, changing LaHood's opinion, among others, could be the key to ending this confrontation. SO... I will get caught up, and I will cross my fingers and hope that these "advocates" inject a fair amount of logic and reason along with the passion and convictions. As we say, see-see...

On other fronts, I'm getting back into the mainstream of life as well. I'm very pleased to note that Dear President's approval rating is now only 29%. The frat boys at the White House in Rover's department probably aren't too pleased, but are most likely thrilled these numbers weren't popping up two years ago, when Smirk was up for re-election. As it is, this fall's election is going to be very interesting. While I'm not totally convinced the Democrats will retake either house, this isn't going to be the cakewalk the Republicans thought it would be at this time last year.