Mr. Sandman's Sandbox

The musings of a Deaf Californian on life, politics, religion, sex, and other unmentionables. This blog is not guaranteed to lead to bon mots appropriate for dinner-table conversation; make of it what you will.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Friday, September 08, 2006

It's Definitely Fall

As of last night, pro football season is here again. Time for me to start reserving my Sundays in front of the TV, and actively reading the sports page in the Monday papers again. Of course, I still cheer my beloved 49ers, even though most experts, forecasters, and pundits predict they'll be at the bottom of the heap this year.

That's ok-- I know Alex Smith is looking good so far, but has a ways to go. The team has shed quite a few old-timers and leftovers from the glory days in the last few years, and is a young team, ready to grow and move on. Now if they'd just hang on to a coach and let him grow as well. I swear, the NFL loves to devour its young, and cannibalize their own sometimes.

Like I said, we had our day in the sun-- the SF 49ers *were* the 1980s, and were a dominant team during the 90's as well-- the days of Montana and Young are legend. Speaking of legends, Jerry Rice finally retired. I have mixed feelings about that-- on one hand, the days of Rice, Lott, and Montana were the best years, and he spent most of his career with San Francisco. I can't begrudge him the chance to retire as a 49er.

BUT the man went and left the team-- not only that, he went over to the ENEMY. The Raiders. The Oakland/LA/Oakland again Raiders. There are two teams I have never been crazy about: the Raiders, simply because they're rude assholes, and crosstown rivals to boot, and the Dallas Cowboys. What can you say about a team where half the roster are felons or felon-wannabes? They're not as rambunctious or tinged with potential criminal elements as in past years, true, but I'm not a fan, nevertheless.

So while I'm glad Rice saw fit to retire as a 49er, there's a part of me that wants to deny him that-- a TRUE 49er would have stuck with the team through thick and thin. It isn't like he earned another ring by hanging out across the Bay, you know?

What do you think? Should I cut Rice some slack, and be happy that #80 came back for one final time? Or should I consider him to be an ex-49er, a fair-weather player?

As long as we're on the topic, who are YOU rooting for this year? What's your favorite team, and why?