Mr. Sandman's Sandbox

The musings of a Deaf Californian on life, politics, religion, sex, and other unmentionables. This blog is not guaranteed to lead to bon mots appropriate for dinner-table conversation; make of it what you will.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Mr. Sandman Wuz Here 9/9/06

One thing that bugs me when I go to arboretums, greenhouses, conservatories, and the like is seeing how visitors treat the flora. Most people are respectful when it comes to flowerbeds, plants, and the like. But each time I see a solid tree, or a stand of bamboo, any number of idiots have carved their names, their girlfriend du jour's name, their kid's name, their alma mater's name, their gang's name, their parole officer's name, their birthdate, their social security number... you get the picture. I'll be admiring the scenery, ready to take a picture, and it'll end up with the background looking like a schoolyard or a bulletin board.

My traveling companion shares my sentiments. Her solution? As punishment for carving on a tree or bamboo, the perpetrator should be equally carved up.

Sounds good to me-- anyone got a pocketknife?