Mr. Sandman's Sandbox

The musings of a Deaf Californian on life, politics, religion, sex, and other unmentionables. This blog is not guaranteed to lead to bon mots appropriate for dinner-table conversation; make of it what you will.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Friday, October 06, 2006

Framing the Stalemate Revisited

I've been meaning for quite some time to do an update on Gallaudet, but somehow I kept putting it off. Despite little things here and there, the situation remained frozen; oh, sure, little things happened here and there, but during the summer and entering the fall, it's been pretty much the status quo.

Not this week. Certainly not today.

There's so much going on at 800 Florida Avenue NE, and so many rumors, stories, tidbits and half-verified and unverified facts flying through the air, via pager, blogs, vlogs, IMs, and good old-fashioned face-to-face conversations, that I need a little time to sort it out. I don't operate on pure emotion, but I also don't require complete logic. I function with a healthy dollop of each-- I find it's what makes us human. The events of May stirred passion in me, but the trained historian, the strategist in me, needed facts. I needed the truth, or as much of it and as close to it as I could get.

This time, I'm not really sure what to say. On one hand, I've said on my blog and in private that FSSA had a lot of work to do, and in some ways, I've been disappointed in what's happened since May 1. At the same time, I have a lot of disbelief and frustration in the communiques and actions emanating from the administration.

Because I'm not doing this in "real-time," I'll be exploring my thoughts, my feelings, and my (unsolicited!) advice regarding the events of this past summer leading up to tonight, and I'm sure, over the next few days. In order to do this, I'll be more likely than not commenting on events after the fact. If you want "on-the-spot" live "reporting," there's quite a few websites you can go to, if you haven't already. I particularly recommend two in particular: DeafRead, which is a recent and VERY welcome addition to the deaf blogosphere, and is a good central station to sort through recent posts from all over cyberspace-- naturally many of these posts of late focus on the events in the 20002. The second is a compendium of blogs that was started last May, and has been added to since. Peggy at LoveMyBostons has done a great job of developing a great list of (solely) protest-related blogs.

My past posts on this topic are here, here, here, here, and here. I'll get started on blogging the latest later, tomorrow or Sunday most likely. But before I go, I'd like to revisit some portions of my last major post on this subject, on May 17.
...no one's really won here. The so-called "unity" is only present on one level: for those who are/were physically present at Tent City and campus grounds, protesting. Even on campus, not to mention outside in the rest of the world, cyber and otherwise, there have been differences of opinion, splits, and arguments and debates raised that will not go away overnight. I'm sorry, but that doesn't meet the definition of "unity."

For all of this, I blame the BOT. The Board is supposed to oversee the president, so if Jordan was truly pulling the strings, then the BOT allowed itself to be manipulated. Additionally, the BOT (and Jordan) *knew* prior to their announcement that all interested stakeholders (students, staff, faculty, and alumni) did NOT want Fernandes. They *knew* she was divisive and that there was an undercurrent of dissatisfaction that threatened to explode into a protest (which it did). If they truly cared about the university and ensuring a smooth transition, they haven't shown it. What were they thinking?!?!?
Sadly, the above section hasn't changed. I still can't say with certainty that there's "unity" in the community (despite a certain website's subtle claim to the contrary). The BoT certainly hasn't improved at all, especially considering today's events. As for Fernandes?

The best way to being the healing would be for her to decline/resign the presidency. She knows by now that her appointment is divisive, has caused the protests (regardless of who started what), and has led to splits in the community, both at Gallaudet and outside. These rifts will not heal overnight, and she so far hasn't shown that she is the person to lead the healing. But like it or not, regardless of what happens, the next move is really hers. As a friend of mine put it, she is the catalyst here. She said in the NYT, "It is absolutely essential I stay." I'm sorry, Dr. Fernandes, but it isn't. You are and should be expendable for the good of the community.
This also hasn't changed. Despite the actions/reactions involving the students, DPS/DOSS (I know they're called DPS now, but to me, they'll always be DOSS), the BoT, the Jordans, it really is Fernandes' move. She is still the catalyst: it's not essential that she stay; she is not the only person who can lead Gallaudet; but, sans action by the Trustees, she is the final arbiter at the moment on whether she stays or goes. Unfortunately, she seems unable or unwilling to recognize that the best legacy she could provide to Gallaudet would be her immediate departure from the scene.

Act I was May 2006. The Intermission was the Summer/Early Fall. October 2006 is Act II. My critique is forthcoming...